Chairman, President and CEO
- 25+ years of experience in the biotechnology and life sciences industry
- Dr. Ji co-founded Sorrento and has served as a director since 2006, CEO and President since 2012, and Chairman since 2017
- During his tenure at Sorrento, he has engineered and led a phenomenal growth of Sorrento through acquisition and merger including Bioserv, Scilex Pharmaceuticals, Concortis Biotherapeutics, Levena Biopharma, LACEL, TNK Therapeutics, Virttu Biologics, Ark Animal Health, and Sofusa Lymphatic Delivery Systems
- Served as Sorrento’s Chief Scientific Officer from 2008 to 2012 and as its Interim CEO from 2011 to 2012
- Prior to Sorrento, he held senior executive positions at CombiMatrix, Stratagene and also co-founded Stratagene Genomics, a subsidiary of Stratagene, and served as its President & CEO and Director of the Board
- B.S. and Ph.D.
- Mr. Followwill, has served as a director since September 2017
- He has been Senior Partner, Transformational Health at Frost & Sullivan, a business consulting firm involved in market research and analysis, growth strategy consulting and corporate training across multiple industries, since 2016
- Prior to that time, he served in various roles at Frost & Sullivan, including Partner on the Executive Committee managing the P&L of the business in Europe, Israel and Africa, and Partner overseeing the Healthcare and Life Sciences business in North America, since initially joining Frost & Sullivan to help found the Consulting practice in January 1988
- Mr. Followwill has more than 30 years of organizational leadership and management consulting experience, having worked on hundreds of consulting projects across all major regions and across multiple industry sectors, each project focused around the strategic imperative of growth
Kim D. Janda
- Dr. Janda has served as a director since April 2012
- Dr. Janda has been the Ely R. Callaway, Jr. Chaired Professor in the Departments of Chemistry, Immunology and Microbial Science at The Scripps Research Institute (“TSRI”) since 1996 and as the Director of the Worm Institute of Research and Medicine (“WIRM”) at TSRI since 2005. Furthermore, Dr. Janda has served as a Skaggs Scholar within the Skaggs Institute of Chemical Biology, also at TSRI, since 1996
- He has published more than 425 original publications in peer-reviewed journals and founded the biotechnological companies CombiChem, Drug Abuse Sciences and AIPartia Dr. Janda is an associate editor of “Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry”, “PLoS ONE” and serves, or has served, on editorial boards of numerous journals including J. Comb. Chem., Chem. Reviews, J. Med. Chem., The Botulinum Journal, Bioorg. & Med. Chem. Lett., and Bioorg. & Med. Chem
- Over a career of more than 25 years, Dr. Janda has provided numerous seminal contributions and is considered one of the first scientists to merge chemical and biological approaches into a cohesive research program
- Dr. Janda has served on the Scientific Advisory Boards of Materia and Singapore Ministry of Education
- B.S. and Ph.D.
- Mr. Lemus has served as a Company director since September 2017
- Currently he is the CEO of Ironshore Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Additionally he serves as a non-executive board member of Silence Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SLN) and BioHealth Innovation, Inc.
- Previously at Sigma Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc. from 2011-2015, he served as CEO
- Additionally Mr. Lemus served as CFO and Executive V.P. of MorphoSys AG from 1998-2011, taking the company public in Germany’s first biotech IPO
- Prior to his role at MorphoSys AG, he held various management positions including the companies Hoffman La Roche, Electrolux AB, and Lindt & Spruengli AG (Group Treasurer)
- B.S., M.S., M.B.A., CPA
- Mr. Shah has served as a director since 2013
- 25+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Mr. Shah currently serves as the CEO and President of Scilex Holding and Scilex Pharmaceutical
- Prior to Scilex, he served as CEO and President of Semnur Pharmaceuticals (acquired by Scilex Pharmaceuticals) since its inception in 2013
- From 2011 to 2012, he served as Chief Business Officer of Elevation Pharmaceuticals where he focused on financing, mergers and acquisitions, and business development
- From 2011 to 2012, Mr. Shah was the Chief Business Officer of Elevation Pharmaceuticals. Prior to Elevation, Mr. Shah was President of Zelos Therapeutics, where he focused on financing and business development
- Prior to Zelos, Mr. Shah was the Senior Vice President and Chief Business Officer at CytRx. Previously, Mr. Shah was Chief Business Officer at Facet Biotech and PDL BioPharma where he completed numerous licensing/ partnering and strategic transactions
- Prior to PDL, Mr. Shah was VP of Global Marketing at BMS where he received the “Presidents Award” for completing one of the most significant collaborations in the company’s history
- M.A. and M.B.A.
- Dr. Smith has served since December 2019
- She is a business leader, entrepreneur, medical doctor, author and philanthropist who has held various C-Suite and board positions in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Her experience includes significant contributions on numerous board committees for public medical, digital and health care entities. She currently serves on the boards of directors of Celularity, Inc., a pioneer company focused on cancer and regenerative medicine, Seelos Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: SEEL), Spiritus Therapeutics, which she co-founded, the International Board of Sanford Health, and is the Chairman, President and founder of the Cura Foundation
- B.A. M.B.A., and M.D. and Honorary Doctor of Science degree
Yue Alexander Wu
- Dr. Wu has served as a director since August 2016
- He currently also serves on the BOD of Scilex Pharmaceutical since 2019
- Dr. Wu was the co-founder, CEO, President, and Chief Scientific Officer of Crown Bioscience International, a leading global drug discovery and development solutions company, which he co-founded in 2006
- From 2004 to 2006, he was Chief Business Officer of Starvax International Inc. in Beijing, China, a biotechnology company focusing on oncology and infectious diseases
- From 2001 to 2004, he was a banker with Burrill & Company where he was head of Asian Activities
- B.S., M.S., M.B.A., and Ph.D.